Dr Vivek Kumar Sharma
Dr Vivek Kumar Sharma completed his MBBS from University College of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and M.D (Physiology) from Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi. He completed his Senior Residency from Vardhaman Mahavir Medical College & Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi. Dr Vivek is a qualified Yoga therapist (Pg Dip Yoga Therapy & MSc Yoga Therapy) from Tamilnadu Physical Education and Sports University. He completed Post Graduate Diploma in Health, Fitness and Lifestyle Management from Pondicherry university and M.D. (Alternative Medicine) from IABMS Kolkata. He is also a trained clinical acupuncturist from Safdarjung Hospital. Dr Vivek has acquired short-term trainings in Intra-operative Neurophysiological Monitoring from AIIMS, New Delhi. He has completed trainings in National Sleep Medicine Course, Team Physician Course, Advanced Biostatistics, Medical Education Science & Technology, Kinanthropometry from ISAK and various advanced research techniques. He has 14 years of Post M.D. teaching and Research experience. He has guided many PhD and Post-graduate (M.D.) students and has received best research work presentation awards in various National conferences. He has been a resource faculty as a Guest lecturer and Organizing committee member in more than 40 national conferences, workshops and CMEs. He has worked on multiple inter-disciplinary intramural and extra mural funded projects as Principal Investigator and students under his guidance, have received National research paper awards. He has published 35 research publications in high impact peer-reviewed journals. He has co-authored book "Manual of Purchase policies & procedures" in JIPMER, Pondicherry. He has co-authored chapter "Hormones and Behavior" in Springer Link book Titled "Encyclopedia of Animal Cognition and Behavior". He is also a reviewer of many high-impact journals. He has also acted as Physiology subject expert in "Board of studies" in MGIMS& RI, Pondicherry for implementation of revised integrated Medical curriculum for MBBS course. He is member of Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India, Indian Federation of Sports Medicine and Research Society for the Study of Diabetes in India. He was a member of major administrative, research and academic committees in JIPMER, Pondicherry including working as Purchase officer, member of various Finance committees, Anti-Ragging committee, O/IC Common Facility complex, Operation theaters, Academic upgradation committees, PhD monitoring committee and Post-graduate research and Monitoring committee.
Details of resource person during conferences/ CME/ workshops - Dr Vivek Kumar Sharma
1. Workshop on Value Education for the 21
Century and Beyond
Workshop on "Value Education for the 21st Century and Beyond" 20.04.18 Invited speaker.
2. Symposium titled "Sports Physiology, biomechanics and Management of Sports Injuries" held at JIPMER during APPIOCN 2017 13.10.17 Guest Speaker.
3. Updates on Exercise Physiology 10.10.17 Resource person and Convener
4. "Clinical Opportunities for Physiologists" held at JIPMER 11.10.17 Co-Chairman of CME
5. "Post Graduate Integrated Practical Series -
PIPS'2016 organized by Department of Physiology Coimbatore Medical College & Association of Physiologists of Tamilnadu 5.01.17
to 7.01.17 Delivered Guest lecture on topic
“Electrophysiology – BERA, Visual Evoked Potential (VEP), Nerve Conduction Studies (NCV)”
6. Delivered lecture during International
Continued Medical Education on "Platelet Disorders” held at Aarupadai Veedu Medical College, Pondicherry 15.12.16 Delivered Guest lecture
“Updates on Platelet Physiology"
7. National workshop "TECHPHYSIO 2016"
organized by Department of Physiology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Pondicherry 30.09.16 Joint Organizing Secretary for the workshop and Convener of two workshops: "EEG: Acquisition and Analysis" and "Exercise Stress Test"
8. National conference, APPICON-2016,
Organized by department of Physiology, AIIMS, Patna, Bihar 20.10.16
to 24.10.16 Delivered Guest Speaker
"Harnessing/Translating Neuroplasticity inClinical Application" during Symposium "Neuroplasticity"
9. Workshop "Learn to Meditate", organized
by All India Radio, Pondicherry for Yoga Day function 21.06.16
to 23.06.16 Resource faculty
10. Workshop on “Yoga”, organized by
Directorate of School Education,State Training center, Pondicherry 27.06.16
11. Workshop "Meditation for Medical
Serenity" organized by Department of Medical Education, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Pondicherry 4.07.16
to 6.07.16 Guest speaker faculty
12. Workshop on "Stress Management
Through Yoga", organized by NCC combined Annual Training Camp, Pondicherry 2.08.16 Resource faculty
13. Workshop on "Heartfulness Meditation" at
Mother Theresa Post Graduate and Research Institute of Health Sciences, Pondicherry 22.04.16
to 25.04.16 Resource Person
14. Workshop on “Yoga/Meditation” by Ministry
of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India and NYKS on occasion of National Indian Yoga Festival at Hotel D’Europe, Pondicherry 13.03.16 Resource Person
15. Workshop on “Heartfulness Meditation”
organized by Police Training and Welfare department, Pondicherry 9.03.16
to 11.03.16 Resource Person
16. Delivered lecture “Memory, Stress
Management and Mental Health” during NSS special camp held at Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Pondicherry 31.03.16 Guest Speaker
17. Lecture delivered in National conference
“Chronobiology” at Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute, Pondicherry 18.03.16 Titled“Chronobiology of
aging: role of telomerase and lifestyle modification”
18. Lecture delivered in CME “Memory” at
Dhanlakshmi Srinivasan Medical college, Perambulur, Tamilnadu 5.03.16 Titled "Memory:
Basics to recent advances"
19. Lecture delivered during Symposium titled
"Life Style Intervention in Stress Related Disorders" during Centenary celebrations of Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi 19.02.16 Titled "Mind-Body Applications in the Life Style Management" during the symposium
20. Workshop for Faculty Development Program,
“The Physician: An Integrated Being”, by Department of Medical Education, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Pondicherry 16.02.16
to 17.02.16 Guest Speaker and Resource
21. Delivered Lecture “Health, Fitness and
Mind body Medicine: Clinical relevance in Metabolic Disorders” during National conference, APPICON-2015, Organized by department of Physiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), JODHPUR, RAJASTHAN 26.11.15
to 28.11.15 Guest Speaker in Symposium
“Role of Physical Activity in Metabolic disorders”
22. Delivered Lecture, "Relevance and
Requirement of IONM: The current Perspective" at Shri Ram Murti Smarak Institute of Medical Sciences, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh during second National conference of ASSOPICON 27.10.15
to 29.10.15 Guest Speaker in Symposium
“Anaesthesia and Neuromonitoring"
23. Delivered Lecture, “Gene Therapy” at Achariya Arts and Science College, Pondicherry 1.09.15 Guest Speaker in symposium
24. Delivered Lecture, “Role of Yoga in Mental Health” during CME programme on “YOGA
AND HEALTH”, organized by PIMS, Pondicherry. 10.07.15 Guest Speaker
25. "Cognitive neuroscience and its
applications" at CME cum seminar in "Science and Spirituality" organized by Department of Sanskrit, Pondicherry Central University at school of Humanities, Pondicherry 10.04.15 Guest speaker
26. "Role of Neuroplasticity in Memory and its
Innovative Medical Applications" in National conference “Novel Approaches in Cognitive and Molecular Neurobiology" at Department of Medical Biochemistry, Dr.ALMPGIBMS, University of Madras, Taramani, Chennai 18.03.15 As a Guest speaker and Judge
for the scientific events
27. “Sanitation, Hygiene, and Health” during
NSS special camp held at Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Pondicherry 27.03.15
to 02.04.15 Guest speaker and resource
28. “Role of Exercise in the Prevention of Diseases” held at First National Conference
of Association of Physiologists of India (Golden ASSOPICON 2014) held at JIPMER 17.12.14
19.12.14 Guest Speaker in Symposium
29. “Medical Applications of Neuroplasticity”
held at First National Conference of Association of Physiologists of India (Golden ASSOPICON 2014) held at JIPMER 17.12.14
to 19.12.14 Invited Speaker in Symposium
30. Chairman of Scientific Committee in the
organizing of First National Conference of Association Of Physiologists Of India (Golden ASSOPICON 2014) held at JIPMER from 17.12.14
to 19.12.14 Resource person
31. Resource person for the workshop titled,
“Cardiac and Autonomic Function Tests” held in Golden ASSOPICON in JIPMER 15.12.14 Resource person
34. “Alleviation of Cardiovascular Risks of
Physical Exercises and Yogasanas” in 60th Annual Conference Of Physiologists and Pharmacologists (APPICON 2014) organized by SCB Cuttack Medical College, Odisha 20.11.14
to 22.11.14 Invited speaker in Symposium
35. “Stress Management Skills for adolescent
scholars” during NSS special camp held at Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Pondicherry 28.03.14
to 03.04.14 Guest speaker and resource person
36. “Importance of Meditation and Yogic
Practices in Adolescents” during NSS special camp held at Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Pondicherry 26.03.13
to 12.04.13 Guest speaker and resource
37. Workshop-cum-seminar on “Research
methodology & publication “organized by Department of physiology, JIPMER 23.08.12
to 25.08.12 Participated as a member of
Organizing committee for the conduct of national workshop.
38. “Importance of Physical activity in Mental
development” during NSS special camp held at Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, Pondicherry 01.05.12
to 07.05.12 Guest speaker and resource
39. “Clinical Physiology” 3rd annual CME
organized by department of Physiology, MMC & RI, Mysore, Karnataka. 22.03.11 Delivered guest lecture on topic
“Physiology of Acid Base and its Imbalance” during the CME.
40. “Academic achievement and Physical
activity balance” during NSS special camp held at JIPMER, Pondicherry Navodaya Vidyalaya, 24.03.11
to 30.04.11 Guest speaker and resource
41. “Role of Yoga in Prevention &
Management of Diabetes Mellitus” organized by Department of Physiology, JIPMER 1.03.201
1 Participated as resource person
in the organizing committee for the conduct of national workshop-cum seminar.
42. “Ageing” 2nd annual CME organized by
department of Physiology, MMCRI, Mysore, Karnataka. 5.03.10 Delivered guest lecture on “Pathophysiological basis of Acid base disorders” during the CME.
43. National workshop-cum-seminar on “Role of
yoga in prevention and management of hypertension”, organized by Department of Physiology, JIPMER 18.03.10
to 19.03.10 Participated as resource person in the organizing committee for the conduct of national workshop-cum seminar.
44. National work shop on “Introducing Yoga in
Medical Curriculum”, organized by Department of Physiology, JIPMER 19.03.09
to 20.03.09 Participated as resource person in the organizing committee for the conduct of national workshop-cum seminar.
45. “Memory”, CME organized by department of
Physiology, MMC & RI, Mysore, Karnataka. 22.03.09 Delivered guest lecture on
“Recent trends in research on memory” during the CME.
Provide students with an integrated educational experience that prepares them for successful careers in Health Professions, Biomedical Research, and Academia.
Details of Research publications and chapters published by Dr Vivek Kumar Sharma
1. Sharma VK , Dinesh T, Rajajeyakumar M, Grrishma, Bhavanani AB. Impact of Fast and Slow Pranayam on Cardio Vascular Autonomic Function among Healthy Young Volunteers: Randomized Controlled Study. Altern Integr Med 2018, 7:2 DOI: 10.4172/2327-5162.1000265
2. Keni Gowsi., VK Sharma, GK Pal, P Aaramban, and K Subramanian. An Experimental Study on the Effects of Acute Bouts of Exercise on Neurocognitive Performance in Athletes and Non-Athletes. EC Psychology and Psychiatry (7.9) 2018: 597-603
3. Sharma VK, Subramanian SK, Radhakrishnan K, Rajendran R, Ravindran BS, Arunachalam V. Comparison of structured and unstructured physical activity training on predicted VO2max and Heart rate variability in adolescents – A randomized control trial. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol. 2017 May 1;28(3):225-238. doi: 10.1515/jbcpp-2016-0117.
4. Jagan SA, Sharma VK, Raveendranadh B. Comparison of anthropometric parameters, HRV and resting blood pressure among athletes. EJPMR, 2017;4:(11)384-388
5. Keni Gowsi, Vivek Kumar Sharma, Gopal Krushna Pal, Praveen Aaramban. Effects of Moderate and High-Intensity Exercise on P300 Latency and Reaction Time in Athletes and Non Athletes – An Interim Analysis. Biomedicine:2016;36(4) (supp.): (60-65)
6. Sreenath G.S, Senthil Kumar Subramanian, Vivek Kumar Sharma*. Assessment of abdominal muscle maximal force of contraction in inguinal hernia patients. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016 Dec; 10(12): PC10–PC13. Published online 2016. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2016/20972.9109
7. Venkata Anudeep, Kolar Vishwanath Vinod, Nandini Pandit, Vivek Kumar Sharma, Halanaik Dhanapathi, Tarun Kumar Dutta, Akkilagunta Sujiv. Prevalence and predictors of delayed gastric emptying among Indian patients with long standing type 2 diabetes mellitus. Indian J Gastroenterol DOI 10.1007/s12664-016-0694-4
8. Ajay Kukreja, Sarita Kanoja ,Vivek Kumar Sharma, Dave Unmesh, Varsha Butolia. Effect of regular physical activity on various physiological parameters in young adult females. International Journal of Physiology. International Journal of Physiology 2016; 4 (2): 82-87
9. Ajay Kukreja, Makandar UK, Sarita Kanoja, Vivek K Sharma. International Journal of Physiology. Comparative study of cardiovascular risk factors in Diabetic patients of both sexes in Rajasthan population. International Journal of Physiology 2016; 4 (2): 140-142.
10. Subramanian S K, VK Sharma, Vinayathan A, Krishnakumar R, Rajendran R. Somatotyping in Adolescents: Stratified by Sex and Physical Activity. Int J Anat Appl Physiol 2016: 2 (3): 32-38 *(Corresponding author)
11. Sharma VK, Subramanian SK, Arunachalam V, Radhakrishnan K, Ramamurthy S, Ravindran BS. Auditory and visual reaction times in school going adolescents: effect of structured and unstructured physical training - a randomized control trial. Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2015. (DOI: 10.1515/ijamh-2015-0060)
12. Subramanian SK, Sharma VK, Arunachalam V, Radhakrishnan K, Ramamurthy S. Effect of Structured and Unstructured Physical Activity Training on Cognitive Functions in Adolescents - A Randomized Control Trial. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015;9(11):Cc04-9. (* Corresponding author)
13. Sharma VK, Subramanian SK, Arunachalam V, Rajendran R. Heart Rate Variability in Adolescents - Normative Data Stratified by Sex and Physical Activity. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015;9 (10): Cc08-13.
14. T Dinesh, GS Gaur, VK Sharma, T Madanmohan, KT Harichandra Kumar, AB Bhavanani. Comparative effect of 12 weeks of slow and fast pranayama training on pulmonary function in young, healthy volunteers: A randomized controlled trial. Int J Yoga 2015; 8 (1): 22-26
15. VK Sharma, SK Subramanian, Vinayathan A, Sarah R, Balasubramaniam SR, Velkumary S. Study the Effect of Age and Gender Related Differences on Common Paper and Pencil Neurocognitive Tests in Adolescents. J Clin Diagn Res 2014; 8 (11): BC05-BC10
16. VK Sharma, Rajajeyakumar M, Velkumary S., SK Subramanian, AB Bhavanani, Madanmohan T, A Sahai, D Thangavel. Effect of fast and slow pranayama practice on cognitive functions in healthy Volunteers. J Clin Diagn Res 2014; 8 (1): 10-13
17. Dinesh T, GS Gaur, VK Sharma, AB Bhavanani, Rajajeyakumar M., S Sunder. Effect of slow and fast pranayama training on handgrip strength and endurance in healthy volunteers. J Clin Diagn Res 2014; 8 (5): BC01-BC03 * Corresponding author
18. Sharma VK, Subramaniam S, Vinayathan A. Evaluation of body composition and its association with cardiorespiratory fitness in south Indian adolescents. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2013; 57(4) : 399–405.
19. VK Sharma, Madanmohan Trakroo, Velkumary Subramaniam, M Rajajeyakumar, Anand B Bhavanani, Ajit Sahai. Effect of fast and slow pranayama on perceived stress and cardiovascular parameters in young health-care students. Int J Yoga [serial online] 2013 [cited 2013 Jul 16]; 6:104-10.
20. Subramanian SK, Sharma VK , A Vinayathan. Comparison of effect of regular unstructured physical training and athletic level training on body composition and cardio respiratory fitness in adolescents. J Clin Diagn Res. 2013 Sep;7(9):1878-82. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2013/6853.3340. Epub 2013 Sep 10.* Corresponding author
21. Sarita K, VK Sharma, Asha G, Raj K, Ajay K, Senthil K S. Effect of Yoga on Autonomic Functions and Psychological Status during Both Phases of Menstrual Cycle in Young Healthy Females J Clin Diagn Res. 2013 Oct;7(10):2133-9. * Corresponding author
22. Mondal S , Sharma VK, Das S, Goswami U, Gandhi A. Neuro-cognitive functions in patients of major depression. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 2007; 51(1):69-75.
23. Sharma VK, Das S, Mondal S, Goswami U, Gandhi A. Effect of Sahaj Yoga on neuro-cognitive functions in patients suffering from major depression.
24. Sharma VK, Das S, Mondal S, Goswami U. Effect of Sahaj Yoga on depressive disorders. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2005; 49(4):462-8.
25. Rajajeyakumar M, Bhattacharjee M, Sharma VK, Alagarsamy J. Integrative Approach to Multidisciplinary Training in Physiology and Biomedical Engineering. J Bioengineer & Biomedical Sci 2015, 5:1
26. Sharma VK, Kukreja A, Kumar S Senthil, Gupta S, Kanojia Sarita, Khullar S. A study of effects of Yoga Versus Physical Exercise on Psychological Parameters, Hand Grip Strength and Reaction Time During Examination Stress in Young Female Medical Students. International J of Physiology 2014; 2 (1): 40-45
27. Sharma VK, Gupta S, Das S, Mondal S, Goswami U, Kumar S Senthil. Comparison of effects of Sahaj Yoga Meditation on Cognitive Functions in practising and non-practising Healthy Subjects. International J of Physiology 2014; 2 (1): 146-151
28. Dinesh T, GS Gaur, VK Sharma, Madanmohan T, Harichandra KT, Grrishma B. Effect of 6 Weeks of Kapalabhati Pranayama Training on Peak Expiratory Flow Rate in Young, Healthy, Volunteers. Sch. Acad. J. Biosci., 2013; 1(4):111-114
29. Dinesh T, Gaur GS, Sharma V K, Velkumary S, AB Bhavanani. Effect of 12 weeks of kapalabhati pranayama training on cardio-respiratory parameters in young, healthy volunteers of JIPMER population. International J of Medical & Pharmaceutical Sciences Research and Review 2013; 1 (4): 53-61
30. A Gandhi, S Kanojia, A Kukreja, VK Sharma, S Gupta, R Kapoor. Effect of yoga regimen on premenstrual body weight and reaction time in young healthy females. International J of Physiology 2013; 1 (2): 106-111
31. Sharma VK, Madanmohan T. Yogic management of obesity. Journal of physical education sports and sports science 2012; 2: 464-465
32. Dinesh T, Madanmohan T, GS Gaur, VK Sharma, Harichandra KT. Effect of pranayama on pulmonary function parameters in young healthy volunteers. Journal of physical education sports and sports science 2012; 2: 279-280
33. Sharma VK, Kukreja A, Senthil Kumar S, Kanojia S, Gupta S (2012) Comparative Study of Yoga and Physical Exercises on Psychological Parameters, Hand Grip Strength and Reaction Time during Examination Stress in Young Female Medical Students. 1:362. doi:10.4172/scientificreports.362
34. VK Sharma, S Das, S Mondal, U Goswami. Effect of Sahaj yoga on autonomic functions in healthy subjects and patients of major depression. Biomedicine 2008; 28 (2): 139-141
35. VK Sharma, S Das, S Mondal, U Goswami. Comparative effect of Sahaj yoga on EEG in patients of major depression and healthy subjects. Biomedicine 2007; 27 (3): 95-99
Accepted for publication
36. Rajathi R, Sharma VK, Ramesh R, Vinod KV, Nandeesha H. Heart rate variability analysis by poincare plot in the complete glycemic spectrum. Indian journal of Public health and research (Accepted on 5.09.18)
37. Rajathi R, Sharma VK, Ramesh R, Vinod KV, Nandeesha H Association of TNF-alpha with fasting glucose, insulin and insulin resistance in complete glycemic spectrum. Indian journal of Public health and research (Accepted on 5.09.18)
38. Sharma VK, Senthil Kumar S, Rajathi R, Vinayathan A. Assessment of Heart Rate Variability for Different Somatotype Category among Adolescents. (Accepted on 1.10.18 in Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and Pharmacology)
Details of National & International awards won by Dr Vivek Kumar Sharma
1. 2018 - Nominated for Professor R C Shukla award for best Cardiovascular Research in field of Physiology on the topic “Assessment Of Autonomic Functions And Its Association With Telomerase Level, Oxidative Stress And Inflammation in Complete Glycemic Spectrum: An Explorative Study” in APPICON 2018 to be received in APPICON 2018 being organized at MANIPAL, Karnataka from 29.11.2018 to 2.12.2018
2. 2017 - “Gold Medal in Alternative Medicine” & “Health Excellence Award”
Awarded in January, 2017 by Indian Board of Alternative Medicine, Kolkata, India
3. 2016 - Co-Authored Manual/Book “Purchase Manual for Procurement & Purchase Policies” of Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry, India, An Institute of National Importance by act of Indian Parliament2014 Received First prize for oral paper presentation “Effect of Six Months of Structured Physical Activity on Perceived Stress, Executive Functions and Reaction
Time in Adolescents"
Association of Physiologist of Tamil Nadu (APTCON-2014), Chennai, India
4. 2014 - Received First prize for oral paper presentation “Effect of Structured Physical Activity with Unstructured Physical Activity on Cognitive Functions and Cardio Respiratory Fitness in Adolescents”
National conference of Golden ASSOPICON, JIPMER, Pondicherry, India
5. 2013 - Received First prize for oral paper presentation “Comparison of Regular Unstructured Physical Training and Athletic Level Training on Body Composition and Cardio Respiratory Fitness in Adolescents”
Association of Physiologist of Tamil Nadu (APTCON-2013), Chennai, India
As Co-Author Awards received by Dr Vivek Kumar Sharma
1. 2017 - Prof R Srinivasan Award for Best National PG Research).
Co-Author and Guide for PG student for the paper titled “Comparison of the effects of acute bout of exercise on cognition and inflammation between athletes and non-athletes: a randomized controlled trial” 63rd conference of Association of Physiologists and Pharmacologists of India (APPICON 2017) in Oct 2017 at JIPMER, Pondicherry
2. 2016 - (Second Prize: Co Author)
“Correlation Of Peak Heart Rate and Physical Activity in Young Centrally Obese Females- An Interim Analysis”
CHETPHYSI-EXCON (3rd & 4th March, 2017)
“International Young Scientist Award”- First Prize awarded to Co-Investigator from the research project in which I acted as Principal Investigator.
During 2nd International Young Scientist Congress (IYSC-2016) at Mother Teresa Post-Graduate Research Institute and Health Sciences, Pondicherry
Details of publications in Textbooks, Manuals, Handbooks, Precis, etc. by Dr. Vivek Kumar Sharma
1. Co-Author for Chapter “Endocrinology” in the book “Encyclopedia of Animal Cognition and Behavior” published by Springer Publications, September 2018
2. Co-Author for Chapter “Hormones and Behavior” in the book “Encyclopedia of Animal Cognition and Behavior” published by Springer Publications, September 2018
3. Co-Authored “Purchase Manual for Procurement & Purchase Policies” of Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry in 2015